Saturday, July 28, 2012

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

As we all know “isms” and stereotypes are negative opinions that a person have against another person or group of people based on misleading information or misconception of.  Much of what we say and much of how we treat others can have a negative impact on how that person may view himself or herself or their group identity.

So, as I imagine myself as an early childhood professional experiencing one or more of the “-isms” in my personal life I would say that emotionally I would try to maintain a strong sense of self because I know who I am.  I have a strong sense of self and I don’t allow negative comments or reactions from others to tear me down.  As a matter of fact, I would imagine that I become stronger and wiser because I believe that I have won the challenge of standing firm emotionally.  I regard myself in having a high self-esteem.  I believe in me.  Cognitively, I know that I am blessed with the gift of knowledge.   I am a very intelligent person; however, I believe that we never stop learning, regardless of who you are or how old you are; there is always room for improvement.   Most of the times when someone acts as if I don’t have the capabilities of doing a particular task; discretely, I am more determine to show them that I am capable regardless of their opinion. My physical well-being will remain the same because I am a strong person and I have high regards for myself.

An ism that I have experienced on my jobs before is racism.  I did not receive promotions because of my race; however, I had the experience, qualifications, and the knowledge.  I knew for sure that was the reason.  I was offered the assistance job, which was not acceptable to me. I always remind myself that what I know (cognitively) no one can take that away from me and it is the same with anyone else.  However, I think one important key is to remain strong and focus and I believe that as an early childhood professional I would do the just that.  I understand that some people are bias and have negative views of others regardless and sometimes you cannot change those stereotypes that they may have.  But, what keep me focused is knowing that not everyone responds or thinks like that person.  I have the opportunity to bring about a change in the lives of these children by teaching them anti-bias education where they will value and respect others for who they are. I try to practice anti-bias education everyday whether I am at work or at home.  I am determined to not let negative behaviors from others influence my behavior toward the next person.  I am not an early childhood professional currently; however, I do anticipate that I will come across a parent with a stereotype or ism one day as I assume my new career as an early childhood professional.

“Ultimately, the most important thing we bring to our teaching is who we are.  Deepening our understanding of who we are now and how we came to be that person is at the heart of becoming a strong anti-bias teacher” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 22).

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and
     ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

2 comments:

  1. Allison,
    I like your thoughts on not allowing the opinion of someone change who you are and as an early childhood professional, these are virtues we should instill in the younger generation.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posting was quite enlightening and motivational. I really appreciate your views of yourself. I think in this field professionals have to have strong self esteem and focus to endure. We are in this profession to help children to become very successful in the future and we cannot afford to let negative stereotype contaminate the environment. Great posting!!

    ReplyDelete