Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reflecting on Learning

As an early childhood professional one of my most passionate hope is to make a positive difference in the lives of both the children and their families.   In my efforts to promote an environment of anti-bias education I hope to teach the children the importance of appreciating and respecting a person for who they are regardless of race, religion, class, religion, and sexual orientation.  I hope that they welcome differences and similarities and gain understanding and knowledge of being able to interact will all kinds of people. 

As stated by Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010) the reason why I want to do anti-bias education is “because we live in a world that is not yet a place where all children have equal opportunity to become all they are” (p. 9).

I want to thank all of my classmates for sharing their knowledge with me and providing me with insight that will be helpful to my future students and myself.  I wish you all the best of luck and much success as we move to the end of our journey.

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and
     ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

4 comments:

  1. Allison,
    I really applauded your hopes and aspiration for children and their families.I think we all want to make a positive different in their lives and provide opportunities for them strive to be everything that God has designed them to be. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,

    I love your quote from the course text. It is, sadly, all too true. I spent the last year working with young adults who were not able to have quality early childhood care, or opportunities alloted to them that we often take for granted. They have come to believe that what they have is all they can ever get. Often this meant, selling drugs, turning tricks, or robbing people. They didn't know that they were worth anything else.

    If we provide our students with anti-bias curriculum and instill self-esteem and pride; they will become more productive members of society.

    I wish you all the best in everything you do and hope to see you in our final class! I can't believe it's here!

    Be well,
    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison,

    The children and their families will be delighted to have you as part of their lives. Just over these few courses that we have been learning together I sense that you are a great person and will be a great role model for the children,.

    Good-luck!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your insight and forthcoming discussion and blog posts. I have learned a great deal from your experiences. Thank you and the best of luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete