Friday, April 15, 2011

Examining Codes of Ethics

The three codes of ethics that are meaningful to me are:

DEC:  Responsive Family Centered Practices –1. We shall demonstrate our respect and concern for children, families, colleagues, and others with whom we work, honoring their beliefs, values, customs, language, and culture.

 DEC:  Ethical and Evidence Based Practices –2. We shall use every resource, including referral when appropriate, to ensure high quality services are accessible and are provided to children and families.

NAEYC:  Ethical Responsibilities to Children – I-1.1 To be familiar with the knowledge base of early childhood care and education and to stay informed through continuing education and training.

These codes of ethics are significant to my professional life in early childhood because we as educators have a responsibility to the children and their families.  We are to be professionals, knowledgeable, caring, cooperative, influential, and nurturing to the needs of the children and their families.  We are to respect their family values, traditions, cultures, and beliefs. 

The parents should look to me to provide them with guidance and understanding of how the programs operate.  I will collaborate with the family on a regular bases. I will use all available resource to ensure that the children are provided with the highest quality of service and stay up-to-date on new information.  I will be an advocate on their behalf and the children.  Every child and family is equally important and should be treated as such; therefore, I will not overlook anyone because of their background.   I will conduct myself as the professional I am at all times.
           

8 comments:

  1. DEC-Ethical and Evidence Based Practices-2:

    First,referral services and linking parents to community resources are greatly appreciated by families. Parents can be more knowledgeable when they know where to go or whom to see for more guidance. Last,I can really see your passion to work with children in your comments. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that demonstrating respect and concern for children families in the this field is very important because when they come to us they need assistance with something that is important to them. We can do this by honoring their beliefs, values, customs, language, and culture which will make it easier for them to come to us for such assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Allison-I too enjoyed learning with you during this course. I believe you are an asset to the field and have an advantageous voice. Looking forward to working with you in future classes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the one with demonstrating respect for the children. We have to be role models for our children; because they imitate everything they hear or see us do. That's why we have to be so very careful that, whatever it is we do in front of them, that it is the right thing.
    Believe it or not Allison, whatever that child learn from the teacher, you can pretty much bet he/she will go home and demonstrate it to their families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison,

    I wanted to say thank you for helping me out through some tough questions I have had. Thank you for your kindness, your professionalism, and most of all your brilliant opinions. I hope that I can maintain your friendship throughout the rest of my courses, as well as in my professional settings.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allison,

    It's been great to get to know you through this course. I hope we can continue to learn from one another through the remainder of our journey to our Master's degrees! Thank you also for providing pictures in your blog posts. Like a kid, it makes reading more fun for me :)

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison,

    I want to take this opportunity to give you a big thank you for all you have done for me during this course, you have shared so much of your true self and your honesty is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to our classwork and assignments. I'm very pleased, as I see you are with the outcome of our first class at Walden. It was great to meet you, and I look forward to working with you again!

    ~Trish Gardini

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Allison,
    Thank you for the experiance of working with you, sharing ideas during the length of this course. Your blog posts are always interesting and your point of view inspiring. I look forward to seeing you along the way of our journeys to an MS degree with Walden. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete