Friday, February 24, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

My hope is to develop an openness with the children and families where they feel comfortable in relating to each other and learning about each other's backgrounds.  I would use strategies suggested in the text, "Anit-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves."  Listed below are a couple of the suggestions that I really like:

Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010) suggests having several conversations with the family.  The best way to learn about and relate to a family is to make home visits.  As families and staff get to know each other, the sharing of information and gaining of understanding helps to form the relationship between the teacher, child, and family (p. 121).

And, we should respect and value each family for who they are.  "Early childhood educatiors are ethically responsible to respect the dignity and preferences of each family and to make an effort to learn about the family's structure, culture, language, customs, and beliefs--then  to bring those relationships into our program" (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 121).

As an educator, one goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to build a community of unity.  My goal would be to helps to overcome their biases and prejudices.  Teaching other not to let their attitudes towards race, sexual preferences, religion, and/or class be your determing factor in how we treat one another; especially when it comes down to children being able to thrive in a diverse world.  "We must be proactive in helping children to construct healthy, positive racial identity and respectful attitudes toward people of differing racial identities" (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 80).

I would like to thank all of my classmates for sharing their knowledge and growth with me.  Being able to read others' perspective on issues dicussed in this class has helped me in relating to others and to grow as an individual.  Thank you all so much for sharing your ideas with me!
Good luck to everyone!!!!

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-Bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves.
     Washington, D.C.                     


5 comments:

  1. Allison,

    I like your goal of building a community of unity. I see that as an attainable goal that we can all get to. Hopefully, with the right amount of patience :)

    Thanks for your helpful comments and always kind words.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,

    I can speak from experience regarding the many benefits of making a home visit to know the families we serve better. It is a wonderful strategy for builing trusting relationships and learning about each family's deep culture.

    I have sure enjoyed your blog and our classroom discussions. I look forward to our paths crossing again on this educational journey we have chosen to pursue.

    Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, I also liked the strategies, goals and techniques that were listed in the Anti-Bias Education text. There was so much of the book that I read in spite of the fact that it was not assigned. This is one text that I will add to my personal resource library. Good luck to you, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, it has been a pleasure of reading your blogs this quarter. I have learned a great deal viewing this course objectives from your perspective. Thanks for sharing and hope you have had a great quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison,
    Thanks for sharing all your wonderful thoughts during the discussion boards and blogs each week. It has been a pleasure working with you throughout this course and I look forward to seeing you in the next class.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete