Thursday, June 21, 2012

What I Have Learned

A hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is to teach the appreciation of all mankind and to broaden their awareness of issues that matters and to create a community of happiness without all of the stereotyping of people.   We are all created in God’s image and no one can pre-determine their race, gender, or nationality but we can all determine how we treat one another.  

A goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice would be for the children and their families to welcome each other by learning to accept individuals for who they are and to learn about the different cultures.  “Anti-bias education work in early childhood is shaped by a deep-seated belief in the importance of justice, the dream of each child being able to achieve all he or she is capable of, the knowledge that together human beings can make a difference” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 9).

I would like to say to all of my colleagues that I have enjoyed sharing my ideas with you and I really appreciate you sharing your ideas and knowledge with me.  I wish much luck and success to everyone and I hope to see you in my next class.

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and
     ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Allison,

    I agree with you that we are all created by God and it is important we learn how to treat each other with respect. Thanks a lot for sharing both on the discussion board and on your blog.

    I look forward to seeing you in our next class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,

    I enjoyed your post and also believe that it's important to create an environment for our students that provide them with information about different cultures, as well as enlighten them about their own culture. Thank you for all that you have shared throughout this course, I have truly enjoyed working with you. Hope to see you in the next class!

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of "a community of happiness". I think that is a goal shared by all. Good luck to you in all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison,

    We are all God's children and it's important for us to remember that he expects us to treat everyone equally and to learn to love. Good luck in your future classes.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete