Friday, July 22, 2011

My Connections to Play

Two quotes that summarize what play represented for me in childhood:

“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.”
          Fred Rogers
         American television personality

“In our play we reveal what kind of people we are.”
          Ovid
          Roman poet

Play items for the younger me:                                       

                  

 

During my childhood my parents supported me in getting me the dolls I desired to play with.  I used to love playing with my baby dolls and pushing the baby doll in the stroller.  I actually had a stroller for my doll that was made as the one above.  I also used to love playing with my tea sets.  My mother would pretend to be eating and drinking with me.  I think I used to get a new tea set every Christmas.  Sometimes my mother and grandmother would give me old pots from the kitchen to play with after the handle fell off or something like that.  My parents encouraged me to play and enjoy my childhood.

I feel that play is different from play of when I was a child.  When I was growing up we played outside all of the times.  We played games such as hide-n-go-see; hop scotch, and red rover.  We also play more with toys such as dolls, tea sets, and bicycles.  We were more physical in play during my childhood.  We were just bursting with energy.  Today, the children stay inside and play electronic games, get on the computer, and watch television for enjoyment.

I would hope that the young children today would start to enjoy playing outside and get more physically active.  Being physically active in play outside helps a child to become healthier in developing muscle strength and control.  They are less likely to be over-weight.  And, they learn to have respect for teammates and opponents when playing competitively.

I think that the role of play throughout my childhood and adulthood has made me a better person.  I believe that play has helped me to be a fair, considerate, and understanding person.  It has helped me to learn as a child some of what I thought it was to care for your baby (playing with the baby dolls gave me this outlook on motherhood).  Play has aided in developing me cognitively by thinking outside the box.  Play has helped me to develop socially and emotionally connected to people.

4 comments:

  1. Nice reflection Allison. I agree that our youth need to get more active and put down the game controllers more! Do you feel that your obvious strength of nurturing as a child helped guide you to the professional path that you are on today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post. You had a beautiful childhood, filled with love and encouragement. I feel for our children today. Our society has such a corrupt and warped out look on life, parents are afraid to allow their children to be outside to run freely as children did even 15 years ago. Therefore electronics has become a crutch for them to lean on to occupy their child. We need to fix that but it will not come overnight. It can start with us as teachers and protectors of the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what we learn through play. I can remember how I played with dolls and had alot of fun pretending to be their mommy. Some children are just not interested in playing like we use to play because they are more focus on video games and their favorite t.v. shows. I enjoyed reading your post and very nice quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison and thank you for your post. You articulate well how you had opportunities to play with your caregivers as a child and how they supported your learning and development. The Ovid quote you posted was a great summation of the role played in your childhood.

    ReplyDelete