Saturday, July 9, 2011

Relationship Reflection

This is my daugbterYolanda.  Yolanda is twenty-seven years old and lives in Marietta, GA.  My daughter and I have a loving relationship.  We talk every other day on the phone and if I'm not at home when she calls or I miss her call on my cellphone, she leaves a message like, "Mom, where are you?--you know you're suppose to be home.  Call me!!!"  Sometimes she thinks she is the mother.  She helps me with all of this advance technology and I probably wouldn't function without her help.  She is the best blessing I've ever had.  We are able to communicate very well.  We listen to each others point of view and go from there.  Talking through things helps in making wise decisions.

I have two older sisters.  The oldest one is Connie.  We see each other about once a month, but we talk on the phone every week.  Our mother passed almost eight years ago and Connie also thinks that I have to report to her about where I am or what I'm doing.  But, I don't mine sometimes because it's all in love.  My family is small, so we are a close knit family.  If one of us is hurting about something, we comfort each other.  If we are happy about something, we share in the happiness and joy.







My other sister name is Shelia.  I talk to Shelia everyday and we live only about five miles apart.  We discuss everything from the job, personal life, to business.  We get together every Friday and have dinner together.  Shelia is the protector in the family.  There is nothing that we won't do for each other.  Our mother taught us to be strong individuals and to love and respect others. 




I am a people person.  I love being around people in general.  I try to give everyone respect and treat them with kindness.  However, this is common for my family period.  I find that being open and honest with people is the best way to be.  It relieves stress off of me and the other person.  In my workplace, I've learned that you must communicate with other co-workers in order to get the job done.  We have a closeness in my workplace just as family; however, we do not overstep our lines.  For example, my supervisor and I get along very well.  I would say that she is one of my closest friend; however, I respect that she is my supervisor and I love that we maintain the professional level as well.  Any relationship can be challenging at times but you must learn to be open and not bias about situations.  I believe that in the partnerships I have with my family and co-worker I will be open-minded, respectful, trusting, and caring in the early childhood field in developing an effective partnership with the families.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Allison for the post you put on my blog.
    I did have to smile when you said that your daughter sometimes thought she was the mother. Mine does that regularly, it bothered me in the past but now I just have to smile. I just tell her I did it that way because that is what I wanted to do. She accepts it and laughs. My four children are so precious to me even though only two show their love with respect. Thank you for your post.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Allison....YOU DON'T LOOK OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE A DAUGHTER!! You look 27 yourself!! It is great that you have that relationship with your daughter and your sisters. I often wish that I had that type of relationship with my brothers....but I don't. I love them both, but as Baraba said they don't show their love with respect....actually they just don't show any love or respect to very many in their life at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a delight to read your blog. I do agree it is good to be honest, and open. I have learned it is better to tell the truth than to tell a lie. Communication is what helps to promote a positive, respectful,caring and open relationship with others. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison and thanks for sharing the dynamics of these important relationships. It must be a daughter thing, but I also feel that I am the mother sometimes with my mom. There is also a long-distance between us and I get very similar voicemails from her. I agree that honesty, sometimes brutal honety is the best policy when forming significant relationships, otherwise, what's the point right?

    ReplyDelete