Saturday, March 17, 2012

Communication and Culture

Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?

I do not communicate any differently with people from another culture; other than, if there is a language barrier there.  I try to speak slower and more clearly if there is a language barrier and I do find myself using nonverbal cues to make what I’m saying simpler. 

Three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively with the people or groups I have identified are: being mindful, tolerates ambiguity, and to not be judgmental of others.  I selected these three strategies from the reading, “Interpersonal Communication and Diversity: Adapting to Others” because they fit what I would try to emphasize in everyday communication with any group of people.  I try to be mindful at all times of what I say, what I do, and how I treat people.  As we have been learning in the previous classes we have to be respectful and not be bias in relating to others in order to communicate effectively. And, in tolerating ambiguity I try to have patience in trying to see the other person’s perspective of things/issues and understand where they are coming from.

However, with any group of people I try to listen to what is being said so that I can communicate effectively.  I believe it is important to take the time out to learn about the many different groups of people so that I can be knowledgeable in understanding how to relate to them.  I may not know everything about his or her culture, but I try to know some of the basic so that I don’t offend anyone.

Reference

Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal Communication:
     Relating to Others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

2 comments:

  1. Allison,
    I love how you talked about listening to what others are saying so that you can communicate effectively. This class has really opened my eyes to certain things about my personality that I don't love. I have found myself not being as good of a listener as I think I should be and my communication skills are lacking. Great post! Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,

    This week has provided me the opportunity to think about the different ways I communicate with the people in my life. As a person who considers herself to have a free spirit, I was disheartened to learn that I will sometimes communicate with my guard up with certain family members. I have also been very good about being a mindful communicator in my professional communication and my eyes have been opened on how I can replace my guarded communication with family members to mindful communication.

    Thank you for your insightful post.

    ReplyDelete