Sunday, March 25, 2012

Who Am I as a Communicator

I was so surprised during the evaluation with a friend and co-worker to see the similarities of how they responded to my communication skills.  I have always tried to make sure I use eye contact when speaking to someone and this was something that my co-worker said to me.  I was amazed at how they recognized my verbal aggressiveness, which all three of us scored me for being "Moderate" and in my Listening Styles Profile, we all placed me in Group 1 (People-Oriented).  Now, as far as my Communication Anxiety Inventory, myself and Shelia scored me as Mild and Jeannette scored me as Moderate but we off only by a couple of points.  Jeannette's score indicated that I communicate at a level of anxiety in what is identified as "situational" and I agree with that because I am mindful how we should behave under different conditions. I was happy to know that the way I thought I communicated is what others see as well.  I am pleased with the results!

I have learned from Group 1 that I am considered to be empathetic and concerned with other peole emotions and it can interfere with me making proper judgment because I am very trusting of others.  I am empathetic and concern but I believe that am able to tell when someone is trying to sucker play me as well.  So, I have learned that it is important to have caution in communicating with others and not be too vulnerable.

2 comments:

  1. Allison,

    I also scored in Group 1 by myself and my two test takers. I feel that I can really be empathetic, almost too much so at times. And by realizing that this could potentially lead me down the wrong path, I must remember that not everyone's story is real or unharming. In your line of work I am sure you have found your own method of weeding through the manipulators and the truth tellers.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,
    I had my sister and a co-worker to evaulate me and the two were similar as well. I agree with you that we should be mindful on how we are to behave during certain conditions. I am glad to know that you were pleased with your results, and so was I with mines. This course is really teaching me a lot about how to communicate with people.
    Thanks for sharing your post.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete